Monday, March 23, 2009

Bruges

From the movie, 'In Bruges':

Ken, I grew up in Dublin. I love Dublin. If I grew up on a farm, and was retarded, Bruges might impress me but I didn't, so it doesn't.

Perhaps Shelley and I are retarded, because neither of us grew up on a farm, and Bruges impressed us.

Sure, there is nothing to do in the city apart from walk, sit and eat, but it was some of the nicest walking, sitting and eating we've done in a long time. The weather was so nice (not a skerrick of cloud for two days), the waffles were so tasty, the beer was so fruity and delicious, and the hot chocolate had me waking up in cold sweats.

I see I got on a bit of a food rant there.

Medieval buildings and canals! (Balance restored.)


Despite all this, you would have to be retarded if you were amazed by Bruges for more than two days (conveniently enough, that was the length of time we were amazed by it). I'd be surprised if you couldn't count the number of things "to do" in the place on a three-beaded abacus - not counting the food, of course.

And now for some photos.

The canals; majestic one minute...

Decapitated head the next.

Here's an inanimate object trying to eat my waffle...

And here's Shelley, trying to eat an inanimate object.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What can I say? The fries and Mayonnaise over there were incredibly good.

Anonymous said...

As I regularly tell my husband, "It's all about the food".

He still doesn't understand why I'm thinking about dinner just after breakfast...

Sweet Olive Press | Helen said...

HAHAHAHAHAHA

I can't think of anything witty to say, but I'm very amused indeed.

Stacey said...

oh I'm glad you tried the hot chocolate! did you find the chocolate museum?

Dan said...

Jules, you did grow up on a farm. It just wasn't commercially viable because no one planted the crops.