Wednesday, June 25, 2008

The Cotswolds



On Saturday and Sunday we joined Kristy and Gerrod for a road trip through the Cotswolds, those pretty, pretty countryside towns that exist solely for people to look at.

The first day was very ordinary weather, spitting a fine mist well into the afternoon. This didn't stop the pagan solstice celebrations, however, which were alarmingly weird. You know something is wrong when you're paying homage to the sun at the same time as holding an umbrella.



Burton-on-the-Water had to be the highlight for me. The town is as pretty as it should be, with little canals and bridges, nice little tea houses, etc, but what really made it was The Dragonfly Maze!



This being Shelley and my first maze experience, we were pretty excited. Is it possible to get lost in such a maze, I hear you ask? Well, yes and no, depending on who you are. Given the fact that I, while trying to find Kristy, took literal her instructions to, "Follow my voice", in my case I'd say yes.



After the maze, we dawdled over to the miniature village, a completely to-scale miniature replica of Burton-on-the-Water, complete with miniature replica of the miniature replica. Unfortunately, the entrance fee was a little out of proportion to the exhibit.



Now, there's only so much entertainment one can get out of small houses before having to make one's own fun.


"Oooooh, I want thaaaat!"

2 comments:

bitingmidge said...

Interesting point you've made about the homage to the Sun god Julian, but I have to observe that I've never seen anyone praying for rain while holding an umbrella either!

P

PS, that should read "Sun god, Julian" not "Sun god Julian".

Sweet Olive Press | Helen said...

These photos are brilliant.

I'd rather fancy seeing the Sun god Julian.