Tuesday, May 29, 2007

BABY FACE SHELLEY

Here I am, thinking that I am all grown up... I have a big person job- I'm living in another country...

I had been doing supply at one particular school for five days, but obviously for some reason the security guard at the front gate didn't recognise me. He is a hostile foreign man who yells at kids in some kind of strange language (or so it seems- he looks Mexican, is apparently Indian, but speaks ogre). This morning he was raving and yelling out at the two girls who were walking in front of me in a voice that sounded not dissimilar to Fezzik the giant (I am the dread pirate Robberts- there will be no survivors) but less coherent. After great strain, I recognised the words "uniform" and "at school". When I got closer, he kept yelling, and I really couldn't understand him, so I went up to him and he continued to yell (barking is a better word) "arrg argg uniform argg". It turns out he was yelling at me the whole time- he thought I was a troublesome student (in my make up and business outfit). He seemed quite taken aback when I told him I was a teacher at the school.

The next day he was again yelling loudly and aggressively as I walked up to the school- as I listened to find out what he was going on about today, i think i understood him to be yelling "it's a nice day today". This time he smiled and said "hi miss" as I walked by.

3 comments:

Sweet Olive Press | Helen said...

HA!

that's amusing

(sorry... a richard reeve reference that all lewises will recognise...)

awkward egg said...

The really sad thing is, the next day I was buying some wine from the local grocery store (as you do), and the guy behind the counter asked me if I had a 'met card' (I think... he had a strong accent too and was a quiet talker). Anyhoo, I naturally assumed that 'met' was a 'fly buys' equivalent and said no, then he kept commenting on how young I looked. ("Fresh" I thought). Not fresh, so much as suspicious. He thought I was underage.

Sweet Olive Press | Helen said...

makeup, wine and no uniform - your new london identity is turning out to be "bad schoolgirl"?

seriously shelley... what are we to think...

(I'm off to theorise about rebellion against MBC, and check that kath's behaving herself)